After having watched the lovely Up over Christmas, I am now making it my mission to watch Pixar movies. I’ve never been interested in them before as animated movies have never really interested me but they are so beautifully made and funny, I can’t believe I’ve been sticking my head in the sand all these years!
I’ve just finished watching WALL-E and I have never seen such a cute film before. But of course the thing I REALLY loved about it are all the Apple references. Pixar, for any of you who don’t already know, was bought by Steve Jobs from Lucasfilm in the 80’s after he left Apple. He then went on to sell Pixar to Disney for an obscene amount of money a few years ago. I’m betting that the Pixar movies are made on Mac Pros, just a hunch.
Anyway, onto the references. The obvious one is the iPod that WALL-E plays his movie through but there are so many more:
- The noise he makes when he is fully charged up is the start-up chime on any Mac.
- In his house full of stuff he’s salvaged you can briefly see a Mac keyboard.
- The space colours as he approaches the Axiom craft are the pink/purplish hues of the desktop background in OS X Leopard/Snow Leopard.
- Again, in space, he flies past the Andromeda Galaxay which is the desktop background for OS X Lion (I know the movie came out 3 years before Lion, but still….).
- The voice of the onboard computer sounds like MacInTalk, Apple’s old text to speech software.
I’m sure there are probably loads more that I missed but I just wanted to share these with you all :D. And if you haven’t seen the movie, watch it, it’s fab.