Some Mac users who have upgraded to El Capitan have found their Sims 4 games unplayable. This is due to certain NVIDIA GeForce 6xx series graphics cards no longer being compatible with the game. The affected Macs are mainly those with 512 MB VRAM:
- Late 2012 21″ iMac – Model Identifier 13,1 – Model No. A1418
- Late 2012 27″ iMac – Model Identifier 13,2 – Model No. A1419
- Late 2012 15″ MacBook Pro – Model Identifier 9,1 – Model No. A1286 (650M 512 MB)
And the listed graphics cards are:
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB (possibly)
EA are aware of this issue and are issuing a fix….. in December:
If you want to post on the thread over on the official forums you can find it here.
Sorry for all those affected, this ridiculous situation reminds me of when OS X Lion was released and Sims 3 was unplayable for a lot of Mac users. That took EA a couple of months to fix too. Shameful.