Installing Store content into your game is always a bit hit and miss thanks to the Launcher. The Launcher is responsible for many borked issues in the game, thanks in part to it’s memory hungry greed. This guide to installing your Sims 3 Store content into your game is based on what successfully works for me – I hope it works for you too! This is a step by step guide so make sure you follow it in order. Please make sure you read through the guide fully before following the steps. You will need to have Firefox installed on your Mac for the smoothest results.
- Close all running applications on your Mac and purge RAM or use a memory freeing app if you have one installed. Even if you have 8Gb + of RAM you need to free up as much as possible before opening the Launcher (the game can only utilise up to 2Gb RAM in OS X).
- Now open Firefox and, if you’ve never bought store content before, go to the Sims 3 website, click on the Store tab and follow the steps to purchase your items. If you are redownloading items, go to your purchased Store items on the Sims 3 website – Store > Purchase History and enter your password when prompted:
- You will now see all your Store content with the default view of 16 to a page (I call this the ‘start’ page). Don’t bother changing this as for security reasons you will have to regularly log back in and will be taken back to the start page every single time. It’s really irritating and unnecessary but there you go.
- You can install items individually but you should be able to install a few at a time. I can install four at a time without any major problems. So, tick the check boxes underneath a row of four items and then click the Download button: A pop up window will appear, just click Download to continue:
- This is the really important bit – do not click on anything else after clicking on Download, you MUST wait for the Launcher to wake up and start downloading the items. You will notice that Firefox will have opened another tab which is blank, just ignore this and wait for the Launcher. This is where the problems seem to start, by not waiting for the Launcher to do its thing.
- Tick the check boxes next to the items you’ve downloaded then click install:
- Once installed you’ll see this:
- Click Ok and you will be taken back to the Launcher where you will see the install icons next to the items you’ve just installed:
- Untick the check boxes next to the installed items, go back to Firefox and also untick the check boxes next to the installed items. You can now install the next four items, repeating steps 4 to 9.
Potential issues and tips:
- If the items you selected aren’t all installing into the Launcher just try selecting fewer items to install at once.
- If you are getting a black screen between steps 7 and 8 you need to quit the Launcher (you may need to Force Quit if it is unresponsive) and reload it. If it is repeatedly happening you need to navigate to and delete the missingdeps.idx file: Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > DCCache > missingdeps.idx
- Always install Worlds one at a time individually.
Related Pages –