Only applicable to the 32-bit version of the Sims 3
Sometimes it is necessary to uninstall an Expansion/Stuff Pack manually, mainly because the Sims 3 uninstaller has disappeared from your Mac or is corrupted. If you are suffering from the disc authorization error then uninstalling your latest EP/SP and downloading the digital version should fix it. If you are looking to completely uninstall the whole game and reinstall it, please read my in depth guide here.
For the sake of this guide I am using Seasons as an example. Seasons is Expansion Pack number 8 in the Sims 3 series and shows up as EP08 in the game files and folders. At the end of this guide I have listed all the EPs and SPs and their corresponding numbers.
Using the Uninstaller
- Always try and uninstall using the uninstaller first. The uninstaller is in Applications > The Sims 3. When you open the Uninstaller you will be prompted to choose which EP/SP you want to uninstall: Select whichever one you want to uninstall and click Continue. You will then be prompted by OS X to enter your password. Your Mac user account must be an administration account to authorise this: Enter your details and click Ok. You will then be advised by the Uninstaller about authorising and de-authorising games, click Ok to continue: Let the installer do it’s stuff and close any open windows when it has finished.
- Now you must delete the residual file that the uninstaller has left behind. Make sure you are in Finder and click Go in the menu bar. How down the Alt/Option key and click on the Library folder that appears in the drop down menu:
- In the Library folder that appears open the Caches folder and drag the folder named com.transgaming.thesims3ep08 to the Trash. Obviously the ep08 at the end will be different depending on what EP/SP you are uninstalling. You should now have deleted all traces of the EP/SP.
Manually uninstalling an Expansion/Stuff Pack
- Go into Applications > The Sims 3 and drag the EP/SP you want to uninstall to the Trash (including the Readme.txt file). Don’t forget to trash any shortcuts you have created too, including ones on the Desktop or in the Dock.
- Follow step 2 above at opening the hidden Library folder. Once you have opened it navigate to the following locations and trash the files/folders in red:
- Library > Preferences > The Sims 3 Preferences
- Library > Caches > com.transgaming.thesims3ep08 (or whatever corresponding number EP/SP you are uninstalling)
- Library > Cookies > all files starting with com.transgaming
- Go back into Applications > The Sims 3, right click on The Sims 3 game icon and click on Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents > Resources > AddOns and drag the EP/SP you want to uninstall to the Trash.
- Empty your Trash.
- Launch the game from The Sims 3 base game app in your Applications > The Sims 3 folder. You can check that the EP/SP has properly uninstalled because it will no longer be showing in the Launcher, it will be greyed out.
List of Expansion and Stuff Packs with corresponding numbers:
- World Adventures (EP01)
- High End Loft (SP01)
- Ambitions (EP02)
- Fast Lane (SP02)
- Late Night (EP03)
- Outdoor Living (SP03)
- Generations (EP04)
- Town Life (SP04)
- Pets (EP05)
- Master Suite (SP05)
- Showtime (EP06)
- Sweet Treats (SP06)
- Diesel (SP07)
- Supernatural (EP07)
- Seasons (EP08)
- 70’s, 80’s & 90’s (SP08)
- University Life (EP09)
- Island Paradise (EP10)
- Movie Stuff (SP09)
- Into the Future (EP11)