Only applicable to the 32-bit version of the Sims 3
Bypassing the Launcher can help with the memory issues Mac users encounter when trying to play Sims 3, including the dreaded Unknown Error message and Debug error message. Ashpeef wrote a fantastic guide on how to do this over on the official forums a few years ago which I have linked to so many times. Here’s my own breakdown on how to do it, using hers as a guide.
If you have just the base game installed:
- Go to Applications > The Sims 3 then right click on the Sims 3 icon and select Show Package Contents
- In the Finder window that pops up open the Contents folder then double click the info.plist file. It should open with TextEdit. If it doesn’t, right click on it then Open with… and choose TextEdit to open it with.
- Scroll down the contents of this file until you see C:\Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/S3Launcher.exe
- Change the S3Launcher.exe to TS3W.exe
- Save and quit. Your game should now bypass the Launcher.
If you have Expansion and Stuff Packs installed:
- Go to Applications > The Sims 3 then right click on the most recent Expansion or Stuff Pack you have installed by release date order (scroll to the bottom of the article for Packs in release date order) and select Show Original.
- In the Finder window that pops up right click on the Pack (it will no longer have the little Alias arrow in the bottom left corner) and select Show Package Contents.
- Follow steps 2 to 5 above but apply to the Pack, not the base game.
If you want to go back to using the Launcher just change the text back to S3Launcher in the info.plist file.