The shiny and beautiful Mac with the M1 chip can run the Sims 4 beautifully even though the game isn’t native and requires Rosetta to run. There are two small niggles though which I’ve been a bit tardy about reporting here – sorry!
Freezing resulting in Mac restarting
I posted about this last November but just reiterating again. If you are experiencing freezing whilst playing, usually in CAS, just enable vsync in the game options at the main menu or open the Options.ini file in your Sims 4 folder using TextEdit, find the line for verticalsync and change the value to 1.
In-game audio crackle
This is pretty irritating and there doesn’t seem to be a fix apart from muting the sound. There is a thread here at Answers HQ so it’s worth subscribing to it if you want to see any updates.
If you’re trying to install your game to an external drive you may have issues if you’re running macOS 10.15 Catalina or later. Here are quick steps on how to successfully install your game to an external drive:
1. In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy click on Full Disk Access and add Origin if necessary.
2. Whilst in the Privacy tab make sure Origin is showing in Files and Folders
3. Open Origin and go to Preferences > Installs & Saves > Game Library Location and click on Change Folder
4. On the left menu click on Computer then double click on the ‘/‘ that appears next to a picture of your hard drive. You should see four folders – Applications, Library, System, Users
5. In the field at the bottom, where it says Directory, type in /Volumes/[the name of your external] then hit Enter/Return or click Choose.For example, my external is called Backup so the file path is /Volumes/Backup
6. The window will disappear and reappear again but you may not see your external. That’s ok, quit Origin then reopen it. You should get a Gatekeeper message popping up asking for permission to access files on a removable volume. Just click Ok
7. Now repeat steps 3 to 5 and you should see the contents of your external in the window
TwistedMexi’s T.O.O.L. Mod is absolutely fantastic and now he has released a really easy to follow video tutorial on how to use it, it’s pretty much perfect.
I have a newfound obsession with apartments and have been replacing all the windows in them, making them less pokey and more light filled and airy. I’ve also had great fun twiddling around objects on the various axes and elevating them by decimals.
2B Jasmine Suites is the first apartment I’ve finished doing up and I think it’s looking lovely, thanks as well to all the amazing CC creators out there.
If you haven’t come across this amazing Mod yet and want to butcher EA’s apartment buildings, grab it here. If you want to know where you can find any of the CC items I’ve used, just ask 🙂