Mac users running High Sierra on non-Metal supported Macs are reporting that the Legacy Edition of Sims 4 will not load successfully:
Unable to start:
Initialization error at start up.
If you are getting this error there are two workarounds you can try.
In Origin right click/CTRL click on the Sims 4 in your Games Library, select Game Properties then Advanced Launch Options and choose English from the drop down menu:
After you have successfully loaded the game in English you should be able to switch back to your native language.
- Right click on the Sims 4 in your Applications folder and select Show Package Contents. You should now see three folders and one file in the Finder window:
- Click on the installer.plist file once to select it, go to Edit > Copy (or CMD and C).
- Open the Contents folder then the Resources folder.
- Right click on The Sims 4 app in the Resources folder (the one with the game icon) and select Show Package Contents again. There should just be one folder in the Finder window called Contents.
- Go to Edit > Paste (or CMD and V) to paste the installer.plist file you just copied into this folder. It should look like this:
- You should now have the installer.plist file in two locations.
Either of these workarounds should result in a game that successfully launches. Hopefully EA will release a fix soon but in the meantime this should get you back in your game.
University is coming, one of the most requested packs in the long line of Sims 4 additional content. Whilst this is great news for some, for those on pre-2012 Macs not capable of supporting Metal it’s not good news. EA have announced the system requirements for the pack to support only Metal supported Macs:
OS: Metal required. Mac OS® X 10.11 (El Capitan)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better
INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.
OS: Mac OS® X 10.11 or later
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 or better
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
MEMORY: 8GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: 18 GB of Hard Drive space
Don’t be confused if your Mac meets all the other minimum requirements, even if it is running El Capitan. If it is not one of the machines listed below, it will not run University:
Maybe this means the Legacy Edition of Sims 4 for non-Metal Macs is coming soon……..?
EA have released a small but very important patch today (23 October 2019) for Mac only. This addresses the issues arising through Apple’s security updates in 10.15 Catalina, specifically:
- Game not having full access to the Documents folder resulting in user data not loading properly
- Origin error message stating that the game is already running
- Error Code 0 when trying to save
After updating you should be prompted to allow the Sims 4 access to your Documents folder. You MUST grant access for your game to correctly load your data.
Get patching! (But not if you are running Lion).