Cannot download Expansion, Stuff and Game Packs for Sims 4 (November 2020). When I click the orange Download button nothing happens.
You’re running the beta/technical preview of Origin. You may not even realise this if you have just downloaded Origin but if you look in the top right corner of the Origin window you will see Technical Preview.
Go into Application settings in Origin and disable the technical preview then restart Origin.
If you’re trying to install your game to an external drive you may have issues if you’re running macOS 10.15 Catalina or later. Here are quick steps on how to successfully install your game to an external drive:
1. In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy click on Full Disk Access and add Origin if necessary.
2. Whilst in the Privacy tab make sure Origin is showing in Files and Folders
3. Open Origin and go to Preferences > Installs & Saves > Game Library Location and click on Change Folder
4. On the left menu click on Computer then double click on the ‘/‘ that appears next to a picture of your hard drive. You should see four folders – Applications, Library, System, Users
5. In the field at the bottom, where it says Directory, type in /Volumes/[the name of your external] then hit Enter/Return or click Choose.For example, my external is called Backup so the file path is /Volumes/Backup
6. The window will disappear and reappear again but you may not see your external. That’s ok, quit Origin then reopen it. You should get a Gatekeeper message popping up asking for permission to access files on a removable volume. Just click Ok
7. Now repeat steps 3 to 5 and you should see the contents of your external in the window
The DiP_STAGED error that can show up when trying to patch your game seems to be caused when a user tries to update the game in a different user account on their Mac than the one where the game is installed to. Let me explain:
- You have two Applications folder available to you when you are logged in on a Mac:
- Macintosh HD/Applications (the system Applications folder)
- Macintosh HD/Users/[your user account]/Applications (your specific user Applications folder)
- Origin will normally install by default to Macintosh HD/Applications
- The Sims 4 will normally install by default to Macintosh HD/Users/[your user account]/Applications
- If you are logged into a different user account on your Mac to the one that the game is installed to, you will still be able to play it as Origin is installed in the System Applications folder and the game is played through Origin. However, if you try to update the game in the different user account you will probably encounter the DiP_STAGED error.
Make sure you are logged into the user account the game is installed to and update the game there. Occasionally this issue can completely break the game and unfortunately the only answer is to completely uninstall and reinstall the game.