This seems to affect every Mac user and has been around pretty much since the game was released. And you know what? I absolutely couldn’t care AT ALL.
IT IS A COMPLETE NON-ISSUE.
If Origin isn’t correctly tracking the amount of hours you spend playing the Sims 4, and the last time you played, then just accept it and move on. It does not affect gameplay in any way, shape or form. There are various posts that people have written over on the official games forum and AHQ regarding this and EA are aware of it.
I have a few questions for those people who are having meltdowns about this NON-ISSUE:
- Does this bug stop your game from loading?
- Does this bug cause your game to crash?
- Does this bug cause your game to freeze?
- Does this bug stop Origin from working?
- Does this bug stop Origin updating?
- Does this bug cause the game to not update?
- Does this affect your ability to play the Sims 4 in any way?
If you answered no to every single one of those questions then you need to evaluate what is important to you as a gamer. Because if it’s counting the hours you’ve played and the date you last played then I’m sorry, but you’re doing it all wrong.
Since the update to Origin (v. 10) last week which gave it a new look and moved things around some Mac Simmers are reporting that they cannot download Expansion Packs anymore. When clicking on the Download button nothing happens. The issue is currently under investigation so hopefully it will be fixed in an update soon.
Meanwhile, here’s the workaround you can use until EA fix it:
Here’s the problem – the EP is downloading fine but Origin is not automatically launching the installer so you are not getting the Copy to Clipboard option for your product code before the installation process. The installer is located in the Origin Library folder, in Application Support so it can be opened manually. However, you will need to contact Customer Support for your product codes. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Download the EP as usual
- Once it has finished downloading click on Origin > Preferences in the menu bar
- Now click on Installs & Saves then Browse Game Installers:
- In the Finder window that opens, open the folder with the most recent date modified then double click on the installer for the EP you have just downloaded. It will be a file type .dmg and may have the EP title and/or number in it.
- The installer will open and ask for your product code. If you have this from a disc copy that you had of the game just enter it and go through the installation procedure. If you do not have it then you will need to contact EA Customer Support who can verify your account and give you your product code to enter.
They’ve also added the link to my AHQ solution in Origin, for anyone who’s missed it:
EA have today made an update available for Mac users experiencing problems with the Sims 3. This hasn’t been released as a normal patch through the Launcher but as an update to Origin. They haven’t confirmed exactly what it fixes, only that it should “help with compatibility and stability issues”. Hopefully this means that all those with post-2013 Macs who have graphics cards which are not supported will now be able to play. The affected Macs are all listed here together with the workaround that some have managed to get working (hopefully that workaround won’t be necessary now).
The Origin update can be found here – https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/Origin-Client-Download/origin/forum/34349/Origin.dmg
Download it and give it a go. It may be a good idea to run the Origin reset tool first before you install it, I did. Bear in mind that this download is not the one you get if you download from the Origin website, this is a specific one that EA have released and provided the link for over at AHQ. After using it your Origin version should be 220.127.116.1159. My game certainly seems to be launching more quickly and quitting instantly rather than taking its time as it did before when I clicked on Quit Game. If you’re using the disc version of the game you will need to start running the digital version from Origin in order for this update to take effect. Full instructions here on how to do this (but you need to download Origin from the above link, not the one in the help page!).
Please, please, please take the time to post on the thread over on the official forums here, over on the stickied thread in the Mac section of AHQ here, or leave me a comment below. All feedback is really useful, good or bad.
This update is long overdue, I really hope it helps those who haven’t managed to play their games in years.