This article relates to a specific Category ID in the lastCrash report. These IDs can change after a patch. Patch number and relevant Category ID are clearly listed below.
Patch 188.8.131.520, Category ID 0xf1f9a0
Of course, there are many reasons why the game can crash – out of date CC/Mods, corrupted save, gameplay bug, low spec. machine, Origin in-game enabled, lots of different reasons. One of the current reasons since the December patch is down to the user’s Origin avatar. We have had this before but it was fixed a few months ago. It is also a common cause of Gallery crashes for Mac users.
If you have a lastCrash.txt file in your Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 folder open it up using TextEdit and look for the category ID. If it is the same ID as above it means your crashing is caused by your Origin avatar.
To fix it open Origin, click on your profile in the bottom left corner then click on the orange button saying Edit on EA.com next to your profile image in the main window. In the browser window that opens click on your profile picture and choose a new avatar. You can upload your own or choose one from the avatar gallery.
Once you have changed it quit Origin and restart and you should be good to go.
There’s always something so satisfying about finally experiencing an issue that is a recurring problem for others.
This was after updating the game installation on my iMac to the December patch:
I tried all of the following to fix this:
- Repair base game
- Super repair by trashing The Sims 4 executable file in Sims 4.app/Contents/Mac OS then repairing before loading
- Trashed the ClientFullBuild0.package file from each DLC Pack to force a re-download
- Trashed the entire Sims 4 Packs folder so all packs were re-downloaded
- Trashed the Delta folder in Sims 4.app/Contents
- Trashed the Data folder in Sims 4.app/Contents
- Uninstalled the game and reinstalled completely. Did this twice both to the internal drive and changed location to external
But none of that worked, even a new game installation didn’t work. I then did the following:
- Uninstalled the game
- Ran the Origin reset tool
- Deleted the residual files that the reset tool doesn’t delete
- Trashed the Origin app
- Emptied the trash
- Restarted the Mac
- Downloaded and installed Origin
- Downloaded and installed the game plus all packs
And that fixed it. Looks like Origin, yet again, is to blame for another catastrophic game failure. I managed to put my Sims 4 folder containing my saves, mods and other content back into the game with no problems.
This problem seems to be down to corrupted downloads and seems more prevalent after an update, as reported by others at Answers HQ. If you’re experiencing this, make sure you back up your Sims 4 folder and be prepared to completely uninstall the game AND Origin in order to fix it 😡
Cannot download Expansion, Stuff and Game Packs for Sims 4 (November 2020). When I click the orange Download button nothing happens.
You’re running the beta/technical preview of Origin. You may not even realise this if you have just downloaded Origin but if you look in the top right corner of the Origin window you will see Technical Preview.
Go into Application settings in Origin and disable the technical preview then restart Origin.