If you’re looking to buy the Sims 4 you need to be aware that buying it through Origin isn’t currently as straightforward as it should be. EA are really pushing Origin Access subscriptions at every step of the purchasing process, trouble is that Origin Access (OA) is not available to Mac users so a lot of new Sims players are unwittingly buying the OA subscription which is completely useless to them. The trial version of the game is also not available to Mac users so don’t even bother trying to download it.
- Go to Origin.com or download and install the Origin client. Log in with your EA/Origin account if you already have one or create a new one.
- Find the Sims 4 base game and click Get The Game:
- Ignore the massive adverts trying to get you to buy Origin Access and click on the Buy Now button:
- You will then be taken to the next option asking you which version of the base game you would like to buy. Click the one you want and follow the rest of the instructions. Ignore the Origin Access advert at the bottom of the page.
- For further help installing the game see full instructions here.
If you have unwittingly purchased an Origin Access subscription and want to cancel it:
- Log into your Origin account
- Hover over your name in the bottom left corner and select EA Account & Billing
- In the web browser window that opens to your EA account page select Origin Access from the menu on the left side and follow the instructions to cancel the subscription
EA_Mai has announced that from 14 January 2020 the legacy version of Origin will no longer work. Users must be running the latest version to be able to play their games. In a nutshell:
- You must be running macOS 10.9 Mavericks or higher to run the current version of Origin.
- Games in your Origin games library will still be available but you will not be able to play them unless you upgrade to Mavericks or higher.
- Mac users running 10.7 Lion will no longer be able to run Origin or play any games requiring Origin such as Sims 4. If your Mac cannot upgrade past Lion your only option is to buy a new computer. Macs which cannot upgrade past Lion:
- Late 2006 15″ and 17″ MacBook Pro and earlier
- Early 2008 MacBook Air
- White MacBooks
- White iMacs
- Mid-2007 Mac mini and earlier
If your Mac is not listed above you will be able to upgrade it to Mavericks or later. To upgrade to a later version of macOS open the App Store and search for Apple.
EA are requesting information from Mac users experiencing the Permission Helper Tool error that has been around since Origin was launched for macOS:
This error is down to incorrect permissions on the user’s Mac in relation to the installation of Origin and there is no apparent fix at the moment for those suffering from it.
If you are experiencing this issue please do the following:
- Download and run the script from EA – https://download.dm.origin.com/download/Origin+Installation+Troubleshooter.app.zip
- Go to this thread at Answers HQ, login with your EA account/Origin account details, post a new comment and attach the .txt file generated by the script to your post. For good measure please tag me, EA_Jason or EA_Tom in your post by putting @ and then typing our names.
You will see the following dialog box with instructions when you double click the script to run it: