These really are exciting times for Mac Simmers! After EA_David’s announcement that Sims 4 is dropping support for Lion this week, he’s just announced that the Sims 3 is getting a big update. In a nutshell:
- Sims 3 for Mac will be updated to support 64-bit (finally!)
- It will also be updated to support Metal (yay!)
- The update will be through Origin and will require existing users to uninstall their current game and install the new version
- The update will be free to all users with a currently registered copy of Sims 3 and add on packs in Origin
- The update is expected to be available in early 2020 although no exact date has been announced yet.
- Requirements will be a Mac running macOS 10.9 Mavericks or later and be Metal supported.
The upgrade to 64-bit means that Sims 3 will run in macOS Catalina, the first macOS to completely drop support for 32-bit apps, which Sims 3 is. It will hopefully also mean the game should run much better than it ever has. This is because there is virtually no limit to the amount of RAM a 64-bit app can use whilst 32-bit apps can only access up to 4Gb RAM. The current version of the Sims 3 for Mac has only ever been able to use 2Gb RAM and is part of the reason for the frequent crashes and inability to run the game
Metal is the graphics API introduced by Apple to replace OpenGL. For more in-depth information have a look at this Apple article. However not all Macs support Metal. The following Macs will be able to run the upcoming version of Sims 3:
- MacBook models introduced in 2015 or later
- MacBook Air models introduced in 2012 or later
- MacBook Pro models introduced in 2012 or later
- Mac mini models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro models introduced in late 2013, plus mid-2010 or mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.
If your Mac is not listed above you will not be able to update to the new version of the Sims 3 but will still be able to play the current version.
I’ll keep this site updated with more information as it is released but this is really FANTASTIC news 😀