Update December 2019 – EA have announced that Origin will require macOS 10.9 Mavericks or later. To keep playing your games your MUST upgrade your OS.
The upcoming patch on 3rd October will no longer support macOS 10.7 Lion. If you are running Lion do not update your game and make sure you turn off automatic updates now. If you update you will not be able to roll back to a previous patch level so your game will be unplayable. EA_David has posted this statement in the Sims Mac forum at Answers HQ.
How to turn off automatic updates in Origin:
- Click on Origin in the menu bar then Preferences, or click on your account in the bottom left corner of the Origin client window then Application Settings:
- Make sure you are under the Application section and scroll down to Client Update. Turn off Automatic Updates so it looks like this:
- You can apply Origin updates but make sure Automatic Updates are disabled after each update. I also have a slightly more in-depth article here about updates.
- If you have to reset Origin make sure you disable automatic updates in the log in screen:
Unfortunately this means that Realm of Magic is the last pack Lion users will be able to play as any subsequent packs will need the game to be updated. The obvious workaround to this is to update your Mac to a later version of macOS which you can do through the Mac App Store.
Feel free to ask any questions below. The following related articles may also be of interest:
– Installing macOS on an external drive
– Sims 4 minimum and recommended system requirements
– Disabling Origin automatic updates and startup
– Resetting Origin
– Fix for ActivationUI 32-bit file
– ActivationUI fix rolled back due to Lion issues