Finally! After two false starts with the previous patches and promises of Origin Error Reporting (OER) finally coming to Mac, it’s here!
With the latest update, 10.5.12, you can now find the OER tool under the Help dropdown when you have Origin open:
Simply click on it and fill in the details required in the pop up window:
For more information on OER including what it does, when to use it and how it helps EA, read the OER page here.
If Origin is not opening for you at all, you can still use OER to send diagnostic information to EA:
- Right click on the Origin app in your Applications folder and select Show Package Contents.
- In the Finder window navigate through to Contents > Applications.
- There should be a file in the folder called OriginER. Double click on it and the OER will open.
This is probably the most common issue Mac users are now reporting on the forums and seems to stem from the December 2017 game patch. I’ve no idea of the exact cause but it does also seem to be exacerbated with the installation of the Cats & Dogs EP.
In a lot of cases it could be something as simple as incompatible CC/Mods so always make sure that your CC/Mods are compatible with the current patch level of your game. If they are not then you should move them out of the Mods folder until the creator updates them.
If you’re trying to load the Sims 4 but all it’s doing is bouncing up and down in the Dock there are several things you can try. Make sure you try to load the game after following each of the following steps, move on to the next step if your game still isn’t loading:
- Go into Documents > Electronic Arts and move the Sims 4 folder to your desktop.
- Turn off any antivirus you may be running, firewall, or 3rd party apps which ‘clean up’ files.
- Right click on the game in your Origin games library and select Repair Game.
- Run the Origin reset tool.
- Go into Origin > Preferences > Origin in-game and disable Origin in-game.
- Go into Origin > Preferences > Notifications and turn off all notifications.
- Go into Origin > Preferences > Application > Start Up Options and disable Automatically start Origin and Origin Helper Service
- Create a new user account on your Mac and try to load the game in that account.
Still not working? Try the super repair:
- In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
- Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
- Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don’t drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. If there is another file in the folder, The Sims 4.par, leave it alone.
- Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download
Still not working? If you’re running a version of macOS prior to 10.11 El Capitan please consider upgrading to the latest version your Mac supports.
A lot of CC and Mods broke after the November and December patches so make sure any you have installed are fully compatible with your game version. You will need to check with the creator for any updates. Consider installing Sims4Studio for Mac so you can run any batch fixes for known CC issues.
I’ve set up a thread for this over at AHQ so please do either leave a comment below or head over there and post in the thread.
Weirdly, or maybe because suddenly more people are deciding to use CC and Mods, there’s been a sudden spike in Mac users reporting that their custom content is not showing up in-game. It seems to have happened since the December 2017 patch (22.214.171.1240) and the release of the Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack. There is no reason why this should be happening so for clarity this is what you need to do to get CC and Mods to show up in your game:
- Are CC and Mods enabled in your game options?
- Is your game fully patched up to date?
- Are the CC and Mods you’re trying to use fully compatible with the latest version of the game?
- Are the CC/Mods definitely for Sims 4 and not Sims 1, 2 or 3?
- Have you unzipped the downloaded CC/Mods so you are only placing .package files in your Mods folder?
- Do you have iCloud Drive enabled to store your Documents folder in the cloud? Check in System Preferences.
- Have you tried repairing your game? Right click on the game in your Origin games library and select repair game.
ItsaprilXD’s fabulous guide to installing CC/Mods on a Mac is also worth a read.