Update 25/11/19 – this issue has now been fixed in the Mac Legacy Edition patch 18.104.22.1680
Mac users running High Sierra on non-Metal supported Macs are reporting that the Legacy Edition of Sims 4 will not load successfully:
Unable to start:
Initialization error at start up.
If you are getting this error there are two workarounds you can try.
In Origin right click/CTRL click on the Sims 4 in your Games Library, select Game Properties then Advanced Launch Options and choose English from the drop down menu:
After you have successfully loaded the game in English you should be able to switch back to your native language.
- Right click on the Sims 4 in your Applications folder and select Show Package Contents. You should now see three folders and one file in the Finder window:
- Click on the installer.plist file once to select it, go to Edit > Copy (or CMD and C).
- Open the Contents folder then the Resources folder.
- Right click on The Sims 4 app in the Resources folder (the one with the game icon) and select Show Package Contents again. There should just be one folder in the Finder window called Contents.
- Go to Edit > Paste (or CMD and V) to paste the installer.plist file you just copied into this folder. It should look like this:
- You should now have the installer.plist file in two locations.
Either of these workarounds should result in a game that successfully launches. Hopefully EA will release a fix soon but in the meantime this should get you back in your game.