The September patch seems to be wreaking havoc on Macs with AMD Vega GPUs. Users have reported crashing, glitched graphics and system lockups when trying to play the game. The affected Macs are:
- 2017 iMac Pro.
- 2018 15″ MacBook Pros. Not all these models will have Vega GPUs, it was an option at point of sale.
- 2019 15″ MacBook Pros. This was the last model before Apple changed to 16″ screens. Not all these models will have Vega GPUs, it was an option at point of sale.
- 2019 21″ iMac 4K. Not all these models will have Vega GPUs, it was an option at point of sale.
- 2019 27″ iMac 5K. Not all these models will have Vega GPUs, it was an option at point of sale.
You can check to see which GPU your Mac has by clicking on the Apple in the menu bar then About This Mac. For 15″ MacBook Pros click System Report then look in Graphics/Displays you will have an integrated Intel chip and a dedicated AMD GPU.
There are currently three separate threads at Answers HQ which users are posting in:
If you are experiencing this on a Mac with Vega graphics, please head to the relevant thread and click the all important Me Too button in the first post. The more Me Toos, the more likely QA are to look at it.
No concrete workaround yet although lowering your settings to all low does seem to help. Try also switching to the Sims 3 camera if you are using the Sims 4 camera.
PC: 188.8.131.520/Mac: 184.108.40.2060 has just been released with various bug fixes, none of which seem to address the multitude of Mac specific bugs starting to pile up.
If you’re on a Mac and no longer experiencing one or more of these issues please let me know so I can feel slightly happier that we’re not seemingly being overlooked again:
- Cannot run the game in macOS 10.11 El Capitan
- Cannot run the game in macOS 10.12 Sierra with AMD GPUs
- Static type lines across game screen
- Lines appearing over UI at bottom of the screen
- First Person View off centre
- Glitchy UI (not attributed to Mods)
- Shadow line following your Sim indoors
- Black square shadow under Sim
1 & 2 – are game breakers unless you update your version of macOS through the Mac App Store.
3 – may be fixed by turning off Edge Smoothing.
4 – can be fixed by playing in windowed mode.
5 – can be fixed by disabling Retina display in the in-game graphics options
6 – can be fixed by not skipping through the loading screens when launching the game
7 – no fix
8 – can be fixed by editing the GraphicsRules.sgr file (follow link above)
Update 07/04/20 – this issue has appeared again with patch 220.127.116.110 but for the current version of the game, not the Legacy Edition. The workaround to fix it is in the Answers HQ thread on the issue here.
Update 25/11/19 – this issue has now been fixed in the Mac Legacy Edition patch 18.104.22.1680
Mac users running High Sierra on non-Metal supported Macs are reporting that the Legacy Edition of Sims 4 will not load successfully:
Unable to start:
Initialization error at start up.
If you are getting this error there are two workarounds you can try.
In Origin right click/CTRL click on the Sims 4 in your Games Library, select Game Properties then Advanced Launch Options and choose English from the drop down menu:
After you have successfully loaded the game in English you should be able to switch back to your native language.
- Right click on the Sims 4 in your Applications folder and select Show Package Contents. You should now see three folders and one file in the Finder window:
- Click on the installer.plist file once to select it, go to Edit > Copy (or CMD and C).
- Open the Contents folder then the Resources folder.
- Right click on The Sims 4 app in the Resources folder (the one with the game icon) and select Show Package Contents again. There should just be one folder in the Finder window called Contents.
- Go to Edit > Paste (or CMD and V) to paste the installer.plist file you just copied into this folder. It should look like this:
- You should now have the installer.plist file in two locations.
Either of these workarounds should result in a game that successfully launches. Hopefully EA will release a fix soon but in the meantime this should get you back in your game.