This is not a Mac only bug but affects users with integrated Intel chips. In the Mac family that is 13″ MacBook Pros, non-Touch Bar entry level 15″ MacBook Pros, all MacBook Airs, all MacBooks, Mac minis and entry level iMacs.
The bug is seen when entering First Person View/Camera in live mode:
Thankfully SimGuruNick has found a workaround and tweeted it for Windows users:
To access the GraphicsRules.sgr file on a Mac and make this change:
- Right click/Ctrl click on the Sims 4 app in your Applications folder and select Show Package Contents from the menu that appears.
- Open the Contents folder then double click the GraphicsRules.sgr file to open with TextEdit.
- Hit CTRL and F to bring up the search bar, type in skinning then hit enter.
- You should get two hits, the first one will already say false at the end. The second will say true and will be under the Intel section.
- Change the true to false then quit TextEdit, the file should automatically save. If it prompts for a save, save it.
You should now be eyeball and mouth free! Thanks to SimGuruNick for posting the workaround and also to adambrown_1982 at AHQ who allowed me to use his pictures and confirmed that changing the value to false also works.
Here’s a couple of CAS glitches which are being reported in the community by Mac users:
The straps are disappearing with some outfits and just showing as shadowed lines:
They do not appear properly in live mode either:
Edit – Crinrict has confirmed that this sandal bug is also appearing on Windows.
Cat collar (the one that Doc is wearing in the Lynx household in Brindleton Bay):
The cat appears either glowing and shiny or with pixellated fur:
A quick fix for this is to enable testingcheats true in the cheat console then Shift click on the cat and choose Modify in CAS. Change the cat’s collar.
If you come across anymore bugs please let me know in the comments below 🙂
Grey and opaque windows
All non-Retina MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs with integrated Intel graphics which have Laptop Mode enabled in the in-game Graphics Options are experiencing grey/opaque windows. When Laptop Mode is disabled the windows appear normal but performance is diminished. Some are reporting that their games crash if they do not have Laptop Mode enabled.
- All 11″ MacBook Airs from early 2011 to present
- All 13″ MacBook Airs from early 2011 to present
- All 13″ MacBook Pros from early 2011 to present
- Mid 2014 15″ MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
I suspect this is causing an awful lot of the crashing issues people are reporting without realising it’s their graphics card causing it.
There is no solution at the moment. If your game is affected by this you have to decide whether you want decent looking windows with poor overall performance or bugged windows with good overall performance. We have a thread on the Mac forum detailing Macs affected in the hope EA see it and release a patch. The more posters we get reporting this issue the sooner EA will release a patch, hopefully!
Intel HD 4000
This issue is still ongoing. Please read my previous blog post about a workaround if you have changed your Graphics Options and cannot now launch your game. EA are aware of this issue but have not yet released a patch.
CC and Mods causing the game to crash
SimGuruModSquad acknowledged that there were errors in the game which were causing crashes for people who use CC and/or Mods. A patch was released today to fix some of these errors but EA are still working on resolving the issue . If you are affected please head over to the stickied thread on the Mac forum for updates.