This problem has been around for a while and affected some Mac users but not all.
When you play your game the screen will flicker and changing certain graphics options in-game doesn’t fix it.
Edge Smoothing settings in the Graphics Options in-game.
Play around with the Edge Smoothing settings in the Graphics Options menu. Try turning it off if you have it on or lowering it if you have it on high. Also try raising it if you have it on low.
Thanks to the wonderful people who have confirmed the issue and solution over on this thread at AHQ.
This is probably the most common issue Mac users are now reporting on the forums and seems to stem from the December 2017 game patch. I’ve no idea of the exact cause but it does also seem to be exacerbated with the installation of the Cats & Dogs EP.
In a lot of cases it could be something as simple as incompatible CC/Mods so always make sure that your CC/Mods are compatible with the current patch level of your game. If they are not then you should move them out of the Mods folder until the creator updates them.
If you’re trying to load the Sims 4 but all it’s doing is bouncing up and down in the Dock there are several things you can try. Make sure you try to load the game after following each of the following steps, move on to the next step if your game still isn’t loading:
- Go into Documents > Electronic Arts and move the Sims 4 folder to your desktop.
- Turn off any antivirus you may be running, firewall, or 3rd party apps which ‘clean up’ files.
- Right click on the game in your Origin games library and select Repair Game.
- Run the Origin reset tool.
- Go into Origin > Preferences > Origin in-game and disable Origin in-game.
- Go into Origin > Preferences > Notifications and turn off all notifications.
- Go into Origin > Preferences > Application > Start Up Options and disable Automatically start Origin and Origin Helper Service
- Create a new user account on your Mac and try to load the game in that account.
Still not working? Try the super repair:
- In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
- Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
- Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don’t drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. If there is another file in the folder, The Sims 4.par, leave it alone.
- Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download
Still not working? If you’re running a version of macOS prior to 10.11 El Capitan please consider upgrading to the latest version your Mac supports.
A lot of CC and Mods broke after the November and December patches so make sure any you have installed are fully compatible with your game version. You will need to check with the creator for any updates. Consider installing Sims4Studio for Mac so you can run any batch fixes for known CC issues.
I’ve set up a thread for this over at AHQ so please do either leave a comment below or head over there and post in the thread.
Since the Cats & Dogs patches there have been various reports of some CC glass vases and jars not displaying properly in game:
So far I’ve only seen reports from Mac users but it may be affecting Windows users too. This is apparently happening because EA changed something glass related in the November patch. If you are experiencing this there is no fix at the moment that I know of. Either EA need to fix something or the CC creators do.
Leave a comment below if you are also experiencing this, Mac or Windows 🙂