Weirdly, or maybe because suddenly more people are deciding to use CC and Mods, there’s been a sudden spike in Mac users reporting that their custom content is not showing up in-game. It seems to have happened since the December 2017 patch (18.104.22.1680) and the release of the Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack. There is no reason why this should be happening so for clarity this is what you need to do to get CC and Mods to show up in your game:
- Are CC and Mods enabled in your game options?
- Is your game fully patched up to date?
- Are the CC and Mods you’re trying to use fully compatible with the latest version of the game?
- Are the CC/Mods definitely for Sims 4 and not Sims 1, 2 or 3?
- Have you unzipped the downloaded CC/Mods so you are only placing .package files in your Mods folder?
- Do you have iCloud Drive enabled to store your Documents folder in the cloud? Check in System Preferences.
- Have you tried repairing your game? Right click on the game in your Origin games library and select repair game.
ItsaprilXD’s fabulous guide to installing CC/Mods on a Mac is also worth a read.
Lots of Simmers, Mac and Windows users, still have issues installing CC and Mods into their game because of the compression methods some creators use. I was late to the CC party and experienced this as the built in Archive Utility in macOS can’t handle 7z files.
The best tool I have found to extract 7z and rar files is The Unarchiver and you can download it straight from the Mac App Store here. It’s really simple to use as it sets itself up as the default unarchiver on your Mac so once installed you don’t have to do anything. I don’t normally like any software that overrides Apple’s Apps but I’ve been using this ever since my CC obsession started and had no problem with it.
- Download The Unarchiver from the App Store. It will automatically install.
- Download some CC in 7z or rar format. The downloaded file will now look like one of these in your Downloads folder:
- Now just double click on the 7z or RAR file (like you would a normal Zip file) and The Unarchiver will extract the contents into a new folder in your Downloads folder. You can now move the .Package files from the extracted folder into your Mods folder.
More information and help:
- For a step by step guide on how to install CC/Mods have a look at ItsaprilXD’s brilliant guide here
- It’s always a good idea to get rid of the special characters (*%-_ etc.) from CC filenames as it will help to speed up your game a little. For a further explanation see my page here. Rather than manually change every filename I created an Automator App which will get rid of the characters for you. You simply drag the files to the App and the special characters are removed.
Another recolour of a dreamteamsims conversion. This time of the Aesop pump bottle. I made the labels and recoloured the bottle to make them quite unique. You will need the original mesh for them to work in your game. Download links after the picture.
Converted mesh by dreamteamsims (Aesop Pump 01) – Download