Two important Mac specific fixes have been included in the April patch:
CAS cursor glitch
- Fixed an issue for Mac users with Intel integrated graphics, where the mouse cursor would not move properly after adjusting the shape of a Sim’s body in Create a Sim.
This annoying issue affected some, but not all, Mac users with Intel only graphics. The cursor would not appear to track properly in CAS:
(video credit – 13Vader)
For more examples and the specific help thread at Answers HQ please go here
Sims 4 not optimised for Mac
- Removed an outdated file that was causing a false error message to appear for 64-bit Mac users that said, “The Sims 4” is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated.”
The following error message would display when launching the game after an OS or game update:
This error message is not to be confused with the similar message when launching full 32-bit apps in macOS. 32-bit apps like Sims 3, Sims Medieval and SimCity will still cease to function in the next release of macOS. Sims 4 is 64-bit.
We have a new Mac specific bug that’s popped up since the November patch, game version 22.214.171.1240.
If you play with laptop mode off you will see a weird straight line shadow following your Sim around when they are inside:
A workaround at the moment is to enable laptop mode in your game. You could also go into the GraphicsRules.sgr file and change the RenderShadowsEnabled value to false but enabling laptop mode is a lot quicker and easier. You may get the awful pink floors bug back though so you decide which is worse!
We have a thread over at AHQ so please do take a minute to press the Me Too button so EA are aware of how widespread it is. If you have a minute I’d really appreciate it if you could please post your Mac model too and version of macOS – https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Mac-Sims-cast-weird-shadows/m-p/7178640
This has been around for ages and doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. When trying to use CAS the cursor is glitching and displaying one or more of the following symptoms:
- When editing a body part the cursor will not ‘let go’ of the part to stop editing
- Moving your cursor over the screen will randomly grab a body part for editing
- Rotating the Sim is not possible unless using the keyboard arrow keys
(thanks to 13Vader for the video)
At the moment there is no solution or workaround although some users have reported that it resolves itself after a game update. We have a thread at AHQ collecting information and it does seem to be affecting lower spec. Macs so lowering your in-game graphics options may help. Please post in the thread if you are experiencing this or if you have found a fix, or leave a comment below.